THE LUIS ARCE SUCCESS AWARD
The Luis Arce Success Award honors the memory of Luis Arce, who was a tireless advocate for the rights of low-income families. His dedication to those less fortunate in his neighborhood and the meaningful work he accomplished throughout his short lifetime is a statement of Luis’ courage, conviction and passion for social justice.
While working at Community Service Society, Solidaridad Humana and then as Director of the Manhattan Valley Management Company, Luis was a tireless advocate and a natural leader. Luis continued his commitment to Manhattan Valley Development Corporation as a member of the Board while also serving as the Director of Housing at Sinergia, championing the integration of persons with disabilities and their families into mainstream housing.
Luis had the skills and personal traits to bring people together around a common cause. It is these skills, as a founding Board Member of the Neighborhood Preservation Coalition of New York State and then as an active supporter, that Luis lent to the Coalition until his death on June 23, 1994.
In remembering Luis’ compassion, energy, zeal, and dedication, we created the Luis Arce Success Award to celebrate the contributions of neighborhood activists in the area of affordable housing and community development.
The Luis Arce Success Award honors an individual who has made a difference in the lives of low- and moderate-income families and who embodies Luis Arce’s compassion, energy, zeal, and dedication.
The Award will be presented to an individual who:
- makes a positive impact for change in their neighborhood
- succeeded in bringing local residents or organizations together to address tough challenges
- goes the extra mile to work for the improvement of the community
- maintains a “can-do” attitude and is able to inspire hope in others
- is a leader committed to bringing about change
- is affiliated with a member organization of the Neighborhood Preservation Coalition of NYS.
Past recipients include:
- 2017: Rosemarie Gonzalez, NAICA, Bronx, NY
- 2016: Yvonne Stennett, Community League of the Heights, New York, NY
- 2015: Nancy Manfredonia, Central Islip Civic Council, Central Islip, NY
- 2014: Hilary Lamishaw, Troy Rehabilitation and Improvement Project, Inc., Troy, NY
- 2013: Gail Webster, Hudson River Housing, Poughkeepsie, NY
- 2012: Suzanne Miller, Margert Community Corporation, Far Rockaway, NY
- 2011: Bob Kalin, Housing Conservation Coordinators, NY, NY
- 2010: Pat Singer, Brighton Neighborhood Association, Brooklyn, NY
- 2009: Edward August, Better Neighborhoods Inc, Schenectady, NY
- 2008: George Frazier, Hoops Express, Newburgh, NY
- 2006: Sister Cecilia Flynn, Family Residence, Bronx, NY
- 2005: Cathy Mickens, Neighborhood Housing Services of Jamaica, Jamaica, NY
- 2004: James Wallace, Wyandanch Community Development Corp, Wyandanch, NY
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Nominations are now closed.